Image: SEM of an Au/CIS core-shell nanowire, courtesy of Professor Erik Menke.
The faculty members employ diverse approaches in the synthesis, characterization and applications of advanced materials. Anne Kelley's group studies the vibrations (phonons) of semiconductor nanocrystals and how they are coupled to electronic excitations. David Kelley's group uses ultrafast optical spectroscopy to examine the optical and electronic properties of semiconductor nanoparticles that have potential applications in solar energy conversion and display technologies. Tao Ye's group focuses on the measuring and controlling surfaces and interfaces, which are increasingly important for as the sizes of materials scale down. Erik Menke's group fabricates and studies the photophysics of semiconductor nanowires for applications in solar energy conversion. Alex Noy's group studies molecular transport and signal transduction across nanoscale interfaces and develops biomimetic nanostructures that facilitate the creation of bioelectronic devices and circuits.
- Chen Lin, Ke Gong, David F. Kelley, and Anne Myers Kelley. Electron-Phonon Coupling in CdSe/CdS Core/Shell Quantum Dots. ACS Nano 9, 8131-8141 (2015)
- Chen Lin, David F. Kelley, Mikaela Rico, and Anne Myers Kelley. The "surface optical" phonon in CdSe nanocrystals. ACS Nano 8, 3928-3938 (2014)
- Joshua A. Baker, David F. Kelley, and Anne Myers Kelley. Resonance Raman and photoluminescence excitation profiles and excited-state dynamics in CdSe nanocrystals. J. Chem. Phys. 139, 024702 (2013)
- A. Noy, Kinetic Model of Gas Transport in Carbon Nanotubes, J. Phys. Chem. C., v. 117(15), p. 7656–7660 (2013)
- A. Noy, R.W. Friddle. Practical Single Molecule Force Spectroscopy: How to determine fundamental thermodynamic parameters of intermolecular bonds with an atomic force microscope, Methods, v.60, p.142–150 (2013)
- Jingru Shao, Eric A. Josephs, Cheetar Lee, Adriana Lopez and Tao Ye. Electrochemical Etching of Gold within Nanoshaved Self-Assembled Monolayers. ACS Nano , 7, 54215429 (2013)
- Eric A. Josephs, Jingru Shao and Tao Ye. Nanografting sodium dodecyl sulfate under potential control: new insights into tip-directed molecular assembly. Nanoscale, 5, 4139-4143 (2013)
R.W. Friddle, A. Noy, J.J. DeYoreo. Interpreting the widespread non-linear force spectra of intermolecular bonds, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA doi:10.1073/pnas.1202946109 (2012)
- Justin E. Hujdic, Alan P. Sargisian, Jingru Shao, Tao Ye, and Erik J. Menke. High-density gold nanowire arrays by lithographically patterned nanowire electrodeposition, Nanoscale 3 (2011) 2697
- Justin E. Hujdic, David K. Taggart, Sheng-Chin Kung, and Erik J. Menke. Lead Selenide Nanowires Prepared by Lithographically Patterned Nanowire Electrodeposition. J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 1 1055 (2010)
- Jingru Shao, Hoda Mirafzal, Jared R. Petker, Janice Cosio, David F. Kelley, and Tao Ye. Nanoscale organization of GaSe quantum dots on a gold surface. J. Phys. Chem. C, 113,19102-19104 (2009)